Saturday 3 December 2016

Rest easy




Losing a pet is never easy. They are a huge part of your family (at least in my case) and its always so hard to say goodbye to a family member. This past week I had to do just that with my cat Gak.


Gak came into my life a little over five years ago, and I'm forever grateful for the day that happened. I'll never forget it, we were expecting to get the tail end of a hurricane that night and when my sister

and her boyfriend came across a small black kitten on the side of the road they knew they had to do something. Since Leighanne's (my sister) boyfriend is allergic to cats they thought the best thing to do for him would be to drop him off at my mothers for the night. ..yeah right, just for the night..
The moment I saw him sitting in my porch I knew right then and there that this was my cat, and so the begging process began. For a solid two days I begged my mom to let me keep this gorgeous little cat, saying the usual "I promise I'll feed him" "I'll clean up after him I swear" and "You won't even know he's here". Luckily for me my mom caved and Gak immediately became a part of our family.


He was my first real pet and the bond we formed is truly unforgettable. Gak had a huge personality to go along with his large ( 20+ pound ) frame. He always craved for all eyes to be on him and needed constant attention. One instance that sticks out in my mind when thinking of his attention-seeking ways was his reaction whenever I had the audacity to close my bedroom door. Since he was a kitten any time that my door was shut he would head butt it with all of his might and let out the sweetest but loudest meow, that everyone who heard would swear sounded just like mom, haha.


Not seeing him at the top of the stairs when I get home will take some serious getting used to, but I can take comfort in knowing that my family gave him the best life imaginable and that he will forever be in our hearts.




"What greater gift than the love of a cat"
-Charles Dickens










5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Robyn! You're right, I lost another cat years ago and it really doesn't get much easier.. I so appreciate your advice too, my plan is to (when I'm ready) adopt a black kitten. Black cats have always been my favourite, and from what I've read they get looked over at shelters because people see them as bad luck which is so silly to me. Thanks again for your kind words and suggestions for healing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad les. I'll miss Gak & our study dates. Even when he would always come over and try to steal our ice cream 😿 I'm always here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a cat owner only as of the past year, and as much as he drives me nuts sometimes with his incessant meowing and neediness I also realize he is my world and I am his..I couldn't imagine my life right now without him in it, cats are interesting creatures with very peculiar personalities and if you could luck into one that was loyal like that then you were very lucky indeed..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesley, Im so sorry for your loss. I currently have a dog and he's now 5. I couldn't even imagine him not in my life. Everyone who meets Schenn says OMG he's worse than a toddler, he's attached to your hip. And it's true. He doesnt leave my side at all, and I love him and treat him like a child. He's my fur baby. I hope time will ease your pain as you were quite sad in class and I felt so bad for you. Hold your memories close to your heart, cause thats where Gak will always be. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel, I lost one of my rats around the same time, it's never easy to lose them. Any pet is family, and more so when they give you that little bit more attention. They can feel when you're are sad, Harley would get on my shoulder and pull my head sideways and sit on top of my head to make me laugh when she knew I was sad, that and clean my ears (really really creepy the first time.), but it was her way of showing she cared. So now Ivy does it, and Selina just grabs my fingers and my hair and picks through it.

    ReplyDelete