Thursday 24 November 2016

Not gone, but forgotten... Myspace

 
 


Myspace is a social networking website, offering an interactive, user-submitted network of friends, personal profiles, blogs, groups, photos, music, and videos. It was founded on August 1, 2003 by Tom Anderson and Chris DeWolfe. In July 2005, Rupert Murdoch's news corporation purchased Myspace for $580 million and sold again to Specific Media in June 2009 for a rumored $35 million dollars.

At the height of Myspace's popularity it was the #1 most used site in the United States. But of course their dominance did not last long as Facebook launched and quickly gained popularity and overtook Myspace in the number of users in 2009.

Now, Myspace manages to get around 50 million visits a month. While this may seem like a pretty impressive number at first it is actually pretty insignificant when compared to Facebook which has over 1 billion active users each month. Even at its peak of 75.9 million (December 2008) users Myspace does not come remotely close to Facebook.


 



While Myspace has many cool features and is pretty user-friendly I do not see myself continuing to use this site anymore. Facebook and Instagram are my favourite sites and I did not find anything while using Myspace that would make me want to use their site instead. 

1 comment:

  1. I didn't even try myspace before but it does seem interesting. Although I think I already have too many social media apps on the go!

    ReplyDelete